AirAttack Racing Forum
Project Cars - Printable Version

+- AirAttack Racing Forum (https://airattackteam.com)
+-- Forum: Other Games (https://airattackteam.com/forum-28.html)
+--- Forum: Other Racing Sims (https://airattackteam.com/forum-46.html)
+--- Thread: Project Cars (/thread-702.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Project Cars - Caedrion - 05-29-2015

Did a few hours on it when i had the chance, basically spent most of the time setting up te FFB to feel proper but kinda got it to work in the end.

Kinda hoping they can get us sth like setup grid as im a total 0 on set making ^^

Do join the AA steam grp or add me up if u have any open slots Caedrion Kensei is the name there so we can go for some laps =)

RE: Project Cars - Vim Fuego - 05-30-2015

Thanks for reminding me Caedrion - I've just joined the steam group now Smile

Okay, well, first impressions of the game: It looks amazing. AMAZING! I am amazed; The soundtrack is beautiful (with one niggling exception), from the epic score to the pop and crackle of the excess fuel in the extractors, i have never heard so much detail in the effects for a game before now; The physics feel very nice (as in the old definition, meaning exact) and very responsive. I haven't needed to touch the controller settings except to add some button bindings; The circuits are painstakingly detailed and are great fun to drive, and the weather and time settings add so much replayability that, even if you only ever drove one track, it'll never get boring; The weather is a lot of fun to play with and can make driving far, far more interesting than it ever needs to be; Skinning allows for specular detailing (for highlight variables) and fresnel effects (for chrome). Outrageously happy about this :p

I have to say it feels a lot like the TOCA games, but prettier. It has a very similar feel to the physics and feedback but with more detail, and of course there's your pit engineer talking to you throughout the race too.

On the downside: Worst Oculus Rift implementation ever. Nothing, up to the point of starting your drive, is VR-friendly. Navigating the menus is horrible, as they tend to put useful hotspots away up in the corners of the screen. My eyes felt like they were trying to turn themselves inside out. The workaround for this is to use OBS or something similar that will greatly affect your computer's performance. Once inside the car, things get really screwy. Rotational head-tracking works as normal, but postional tracking switches forward-backward movement with side-to-side movement for some insane reason, and I can't seem to find a fix. Also, no matter how you try, recentring the viewpoint always results in you sitting a few degrees askew. The result is really damn disorienting and quite uncomfortable, and I'm not prone to VR sickness at all. Hopefully all of this will be sorted in the near future.
The only downside of the audio is the sound they use for crashes. Any crash. All crashes no matter how big or small. All the same sound. Every one. Seems a bit lazy when they've put so much detail into everything else...
The AI are atrocious, but I ran them at 100% ability, so maybe that was causing them to drive like they owned the track.

In summary, there's waayyy more tweaking to be done, both in the development of the game and at my end in the settings and configs, and hopefully a lot of the issues can be solved with simple fixes. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all goes.

When the VR does sort-of-work and you're not hitting anything, it's a beautiful place to be.

RE: Project Cars - Caedrion - 05-30-2015

<-- no Oculus Rift here mate so cant rly share any points on it sadly =( but do check on Steam in itself as ppl post a ton of guides on "how to" and the sorts, hopefully they managed any workaround until proper support/patching is done.

Glad u only had minor tweaks to make but idk what wheel u have mate, im on a DFGT and wile being a good starters wheel ,as i read so often, i really don't know on if what im lacking is hardware wise or anything else really, by comparison with any other wheel on a higher price range, so the fiddling with the settings and all the headaches were scratched to that point, "better wheel = less fiddling ?" in my one track logic, but got it to feel a lot better now using settings from the web only having to manage the overall force on a car by car basis until it feels proper, before when the AI pushed me off track ( also on 100% THEN ) the car would ram a wall and the feedback on the wheel was zero, not from the crash on the wall in itself ,but the side forces of the other car pushing me were zero O_o !! so had no way to counter it on a timely fashion as to minimize it... a lot of walls died that day..

Have since lowered the AI to 85% and usually up it to 90 at times, as wile testing ,and as i don't know the tracks myself, their lap times were closer to mine , i usually start a race from the 4th position if not lower, time difference ranges from  00.00.XX  to a full 4 second margin when i start thinking im a setup maker and fiddle with the car's options =P, out of the box and at 50% was a facepalm session > at 100 i felt like a gazelle parading on a lions den and managed to know all the walls by name and even got a few phone numbers along th way xD , its the only way i found to get the AI not to drive like mad max road fury -_- !

Online i feel there is a lack of official servers, wile the amount of options and ease given in order to make one on the fly and just go for it are great, anything that cant be "passively" regulated is greatly missed as most ppl , i feel ( and read from their Steam comments ), drive it like its a new NFS, if u manage to get in a " bubble" were the fast drivers are ahead and the slower ones far behind u can expect a great drive till the end, other than that i have seen cars literally fly off the track on most T1's , and if u manage to get a pole mate , May God have pity on your soul, as everyone else behind you will not and most likely ram the crap out of your car into a wall and that's all she wrote... ppl reseting the car and parking it on the apex for "lol's"... the whole 9 yards as they say.. Airio is sorely missed =) , the other option is to spectate the race and not drive at all, do hope they will implement sth in the likes of Airio rly =(
 Got lucky and managed to enter a proper server, the guy was streaming it and ended up kicking a ton of ppl ( high ping and the ones prone to road rage he said ) and locked it up afterwards, best 3 races done so far. Think thats the way to go at this point, gather some mates > join Ventrilo/TS > pick a track & car combo > LOCK the server and go for it , else its a BL1 t1 survivor thing or if u are lucky ppl will actually manage t1 and just try to crash you for 10 laps -_-...

<-- Was drooling at the car skins as well, and have an AA WIP skin for the Gineta G40 , as that's the single player cup im racing, great fun to be had i say , do hope we can get our time zones aligned and lap a few together =)

RE: Project Cars - joruss - 10-29-2016

Project Cars (demo) for free @ Steam
5 cars, 3 tracks
http://store.steampowered.com/app/429180