AirAttack Racing Forum
A proper race weekend proposal - Printable Version

+- AirAttack Racing Forum (https://airattackteam.com)
+-- Forum: Live For Speed (https://airattackteam.com/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Events (https://airattackteam.com/forum-37.html)
+--- Thread: A proper race weekend proposal (/thread-687.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: A proper race weekend proposal - joruss - 05-06-2015

What about for everybody to use the same setup? Maybe not the default one but some reasonable one (not WR one either) Good, stable and easy to handle by most. That should slow some down and compact the bunch considerably. Sure ,minor tweaks would be allowed i.e. wings, tyre pressure/camber angle, steering, brakes.

I'd say pitstops (multiple even better) should work as expected if there's > 10 players but that's unlikely scenario, unfortunately.

pace car... good luck explaining this to any random participant that may turn up Big Grin
The simpler the better IMHO.

PS. Saturday date is very good ;-)

RE: A proper race weekend proposal - Sainted - 05-06-2015

The point of the race is not to try to equalize everyone. I think it is fair to let everyone race the setup they had brought or received from a helping hand.

Multiple pitstops over 30 laps isn't fun at all. What's the point of stopping every 5-7 laps? None.

Trust me, explaining this is easier than having from a race that starts with a typical T1 mayhem. At least 50% sprint races are won by simply emerging from the first lap unscathed.

RE: A proper race weekend proposal - joruss - 05-06-2015

The best racing (I remember) is when there's close racing.
If it's 30 laps then it's virtually a lonely race if you're slower/faster than everyone else.
The closes the times the better racing. Again, IMHO. I hope you can at least acknowledge my point of view :-)

I, personally, am as happy as Larry to run 30 laps at any pace God provides on the day :-)

RE: A proper race weekend proposal - Caedrion - 05-06-2015

Say we use this Event as a tune up for something that , depending on results , could possibly stay as part of the AA Monthly events ?!

We can perfectly try both approaches ,and anything else that might be suggested along the way, and decide later on the one to maintain throughout the year ?

My reasoning for multiple pit stops ,lies on the fact that regardless of how tidy things can go, even on an accidents free race ,those that lap low.33 and .32 on a regular basis ,and with one eye closed ,will pull ahead , one can see it on a simple 4 laps race on our servers, one can usually keep pace when lucky on the lines + drafts ,but most races by the 3rd lap the gap on the back straight is huge thus one more stop + tire change > fuel ? , as mandatory , that x30 will still leave some big gaps throughout the field but considering human error as an ever present factor, those gaps could be minimized depending on strategies and whatnot. Id much prefer a race were i can see ppl around me than to lap alone as i usually end up doing ^^

IMO ,the T1 crash risk is minimized with the introduction of a proper !rt cushion , 85%+ ? id even say 90 but that would surely leave a lot of non usual's on our servers out =(
The prevailing mayhem is, more often than not ,caused by inexperienced drivers, lag spikes that we can all suffer and such other than that a proper !rt value should be considered not just the .35.xx minimum.

Would pretty much like to see a results table at the end of the month with names out of the expected ones on the top ,due to the unpredictable race results , i must admit that nailing this recipe into something that will keep ppl coming back wont be easy .

Regards,
nFs

RE: A proper race weekend proposal - Sainted - 05-06-2015

Joruss, I agree that close racing is the only fun form of racing, but I think we need to remain sensible in our effort to level out the competition. I am adamant that 2 stops per 30 laps is the maximum - anything beyond that will look like forced entertainment. But I do agree with your point 100%.

I also second what Caedrion says - on a good day I do consistent 1:34.10s, which means that over the course of 30 laps Jacques will be 1/3 lap ahead of me. Not good. Maybe ballast could do the trick?

But Caedrion also says, rightfully so, that we don't really know what we are talking about here, and we won't know until we run the event and analyze this afterwards. Maybe most of the guys would want to stick to 4-lappers as the ultimate form of motorsports...

Not stating that we don't know what we ,as in everyone, are talking about, i for one have only done the Rally X AA run event 15 laps x2 , therefore my knowledge is limited to that and that alone. Fun event tbh.

Im only trying to point out that we can test different approaches till we get a format in which most would agree on the track , all of us being the guinea pigs, on a locked server if need be and see it for ourselves what could attract more ppl . <-- also an option no ?

Regards,
nFs

RE: A proper race weekend proposal - Seven - 05-06-2015

2 stops in 30 laps is somewhat ridiculous - a GTR league on the longest tracks only use 1 pitstop and we're talking 100 lap odd races. 1 pitstop is far enough to keep racing close, some will pit at the start, some in the middle and one or two at the end. Throw the pace car in the mix and the chances of close racing are even higher. On the matter of XRG tires, in the GTi Trophy I ran with GenR, no tires were torn apart unless you were ragging the hell out of it the whole time - in a long race, if you're smart you'll have a better strategy.

In terms of evening out skills, you can't slow down fast players, that's just fact. These people worked hard to be as fast as they are so who are we to stop them showing off their hard earned skills? I'm one of those guys who, if I qualify, will finish near the back of the field. If those more experienced than me were pretty much restricted for being too good, I'd feel bad. I race because I want to be challenged. If I didn't want the challenge I wouldn't sign up to an event where people are obviously going to be quicker than me. Tongue

Finally, there's no harm in trying out new things to spark some interest back into LFS and racing.

(05-06-2015, 08:20 PM)Seven Wrote: Finally, there's no harm in trying out new things to spark some interest back into LFS and racing.

^ Amen to that.

My two cents were thrown based on my lack of experience on the matter ,and will ,to try and get Demo somewhat more spiced up, as tbh ,changing servers , searching for sth else is kinda pointless if all offer the same with a +1/-1 lap difference -_- ! ,glad u could shed a light on it Seven, got all my questions answered in fashionable way =)

Didn't meant it in a sense as to penalize faster ppl, but more in a way as to test composure/tactics and know how in pace/tire management , as im pretty much sure that 99% of the field will slap a 0% gas + No tire change, making the pit almost useless. (Again , based on my limited !ex)

And rightfully so mate, if there's no challenge why do it in the 1st place, and DW, ill be right there in the back with you mate hopefully not that far behind,and i hope i can give something similar to a fair fight =)

Edited due to dyslexia O_o

Regards,
nFs

RE: A proper race weekend proposal - joruss - 05-07-2015

- I'm well aware you can't slow completely the fast drivers but if they aren't as fast as usual things may mix up with a pitstop round. They are more likely to be stuck behind someone slower (albeit on BL1 that's futile effort with that ridiculous straight....)
- Even if one gets no gas and not changing tires during a pitstop there's pitlane speed limiting factor. Not much, admittedly, hence double pitstop idea. We used to have also mandatory tyre exchanges, but that didn't work any better - everyone took the same time to exchange tyres hence no significant reflection in results.
Perhaps extending pitlane zone up to the corner could work better, but again, that's probably not that easy to police during the race.

RE: A proper race weekend proposal - Seven - 05-07-2015

The thing with the tire change is not just timing, it's also racing strategy. If you pit at the start of the race you haven't really changed your tires at all, however if you do start burning your tires more meaning you may want to pit in the middle / end to give yourself new tires and a fresh run. The tire change stop would also increase the pit speed to as long as it would be if you were doing 50 up to the end of the pit road pretty much.

It seemed to work in a lot of leagues I've seen where half the field pits at the start, the others go racing on til they think they have a good lead and then they pit near the end only to have the field catch up again for some real close racing. Smile