AirAttack Racing Forum
What now. - Printable Version

+- AirAttack Racing Forum (https://airattackteam.com)
+-- Forum: Live For Speed (https://airattackteam.com/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://airattackteam.com/forum-39.html)
+--- Thread: What now. (/thread-325.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re: What now. - Seven - 01-08-2014

Haha, no problem, I'm getting used to it anyway! Smile

Thanks for your work so far!

Re: What now. - joruss - 01-10-2014

Just so you know (in case that was done unintentionally) the whole lfs section is invisible for unregistered viewers.

Re: What now. - meddc - 01-10-2014

(01-10-2014, 04:21 PM)joruss link Wrote:Just so you know (in case that was done unintentionally) the whole lfs section is invisible for unregistered viewers.
Open to debate on this, but I don't see why we shouldn't insist people register before viewing the forum. At least then we know who they are.

Which reminds me - could we possibly have a field at registration for "LFS Username" please - sometimes people register under a different forum alias and it hampers our ability to act upon certain situations if we can't identify them "in game"?

Re: What now. - joruss - 01-10-2014

(01-10-2014, 05:28 PM)meddc link Wrote:[quote author=joruss link=topic=4.msg415#msg415 date=1389367265]
Just so you know (in case that was done unintentionally) the whole lfs section is invisible for unregistered viewers.
Open to debate on this, but I don't see why we shouldn't insist people register before viewing the forum. At least then we know who they are.
[/quote]
Ok, I'll throw few solid (IMHO) points against requiring registration to read.
- We don't know who they are even when they register, unless they reply in a thread, do we?
- Why would they register if there's lfs section clearly present, with no indication of more content if you register? Most people visiting just assume there's no activity in that area and leave
- For me it's personally very off-putting when someone nags me to register a hollow 'free' account just for the sake of having more users apparently. 9 out of 10 cases I simply move along somewhere else without thinking twice.
- Not so long ago someone mentioned AirAttack being open to the public as opposed to other teams, sadly it does not look this way at the moment

Re: What now. - meddc - 01-10-2014

Taking your points in turn...
Quote:- We don't know who they are even when they register, unless they reply in a thread, do we?
Partially true, although it would be good to capture LFS user IDs in registration

Quote:- Why would they register if there's lfs section clearly present, with no indication of more content if you register? Most people visiting just assume there's no activity in that area and leave
I agree. I hadn't realised that not even the forum headings weren't visible. In which case, I agree that we should at least show that the LFS forum(s) exist!

Quote:- For me it's personally very off-putting when someone nags me to register a hollow 'free' account just for the sake of having more users apparently. 9 out of 10 cases I simply move along somewhere else without thinking twice.
It can be annoying if you just want to browse, but why would people come here if not to post and discuss? Registration is a one-off thing.

Quote:- Not so long ago someone mentioned AirAttack being open to the public as opposed to other teams, sadly it does not look this way at the moment
I agree with AA being open, but disagree with the point you're making - it is currently open to anyone who registers and there are no private sections (although I am aware Seven is discussing the possibility of a private area for skins). But I do agree that the forums should be at least visible (i.e. people can see they exist) to non-registered users. We can have a further debate about whether topics should be readable. I'm not sure I have any strong feelings one way or the other, but we definitely want people to register before they post. I guess final decision is Jacques and delta's (and the forum admins!) since I am no longer overall running the team Smile

Re: What now. - Jacques - 01-11-2014

Original idea that we had with Delta was to go back to old days, this meaning that everything would be visible for non-registered users. Keeping the team open so to speak.. I think its a win that someone outside the team cares enough to read our posts, furthermore forum being open for reading - one might someday register and join the discussions..

Re: What now. - Seven - 01-11-2014

What Jacques said, although I stand by adamantly with the fact we'd need a private area for -atleast- leagues/config/sets/skins.

Re: What now. - delta s4 - 01-11-2014

(01-11-2014, 12:46 AM)Jacques link Wrote:Original idea that we had with Delta was to go back to old days, this meaning that everything would be visible for non-registered users. Keeping the team open so to speak.. I think its a win that someone outside the team cares enough to read our posts, furthermore forum being open for reading - one might someday register and join the discussions..

What he said, we want to any non-AA member to join forum and make him feel like he is part of it, so everyone knows what is going on, if we are having some problems or not, what we thinking for the future, stuff like that, on the old forum we never had any problems with an open forum. after all, we have nothing to hide Big Grin

Re: What now. - Seven - 01-11-2014

Okay then, let me re-word, could S2 get a private section? I'm sure we'd like to have some stuff out of the public eye, again, e.g. setups, skins, passwords, etc. And what about the AA skin pack - you don't want racers not in the team to use our skins do you?

Re: What now. - delta s4 - 01-11-2014

It's kind hard keeping skins private once LFS downloads skins automatically every time it rekognises a new new. Also if a nonAA member wants to use AA skins, i think it only shows how much that player enjoys being at our servers, sometime ago i've seen people wearing AA skins and that was what came to my mind.

About setups, why not sharing them? Why the need to make them private? Players don't usually adapt to other people setups, once they try and don't adapt to setup they quicly forget about it.

I think creating a S2 section is still a bit soon, we are still settling here, solving some issues, i think first priority is to re-populate the servers and raise some money to pay a full year of servers, once that is done, then we will think the next step.

Of course if the damand is enough then a "S2" or "Licensed Section" will be created. But it wont be private, because it would envolve some changes to the registration page, so the forum could rekognise who is eligible to see the section.